Sunday, April 17, 2022

A Long Saturday

Photo by B. Jones


So here I am:

Deep down in the hole 

Of the Holy Language,

Working a rich seam

Of bone, teeth and horn.


Reassembling God’s Skeleton

In flickering lamplight - 

Listening to my canary sing

The song Nicodemos whistled

As Jesus was dying. 


Where in hell

Did that silly bird learn that tune?

Although, I gotta say,

It’s pretty catchy.

Damned impossible to forget. 


Figure it’s after noon - 

Time to make the climb 

Back up into Saturday.

This day where nothing seems to have moved:

The torn veil hanging still in the Temple.


It’s all much darker 

Than I expected it to be,

Rain falling like an ocean pouring down.

Through it all, I see trees dancing,

drunken skeletons tearing up the earth.


I make a meal:

Bread and wine.

Contemplate every single bite 

Every swallow, every breath between

And I wonder, maybe slightly hopeful, 

What kind of day Sunday’s going to be. 



"I took the Friday-Saturday-Sunday schema from the New Testament: Christ's death on Friday, with the darkness that descended on Earth, the tearing of the veil of the Temple; then the uncertainty that - for the believers - had to be beyond horror, the uncertainty of the Saturday when nothing happened, nothing moved; finally the resurrection on Sunday. It's a schema with limitless power of suggestion. We live through catastrophes, torture, anguish; then we wait, and for many the Saturday will never end. The Messiah won't come, and Saturday will continue.”

- George Steiner, A Long Saturday