Thursday, April 28, 2022

On the Rocks Looking Out Over Spaulding Island

 



On the Rocks Looking Out Over Spaulding Island 

(For James Wright)



There is no bronze butterfly 

This early in the Spring.

Down on the rocks -

No distant cowbell,

No mournful lowing.


As I listen, aged novitiate, 

The ceaseless prayer of the ocean

Hushes and sighs in murmured oblation,

Bone and stone and all the world erasing -

As the unwanted thought arrives unwelcome:

Have I wasted my life?


A forlorn cry distracts.

There suspended under the blue vault 

Over Spaulding Island,

An osprey is dancing in the sky.

The fish in his talons 

A splinter of light

Shedding brightness as he rises. 


I watch him for what must be hours - 

Until he and the sun and me

Are all dissolved in darkness. 

And I know this much for certain:

This time, at least, 

This time was not wasted.